Friday, April 4, 2008

Ever Have One of Those Days? Probably, huh.

Today was sure one of those days for me.

It started out okay. I got to work and got a couple of compliments in an email from another county employee on my writing skills. That is pretty good considering she previously told me I didn't write my 4-H monthly newsletter in the AP journalistic style. (Since I was a Kindergarten/Primary Education major in college and my free time - what there was of it - was spent at Clay County Community Theatre, it was kind of a well, duh moment.) That was about the only good thing today. (Except of course, for my Stephen!)

I left work at 10:45 a.m. to go to Stephen's IEP (Individualized Education Program) meeting at school. I have to meet with his ADAPT (special ed) teacher, his occupational therapist, his speech therapist and his classroom teacher every year to revise his goals for the upcoming school year. It was going along okay until they told me they wanted to pull him out of the main classroom for math. He is already pulled out for reading, writing and spelling. He was always able to remain in the main classroom for math up until this point. It has been a strong point for him. When they announced that, I was pretty sad. I almost cried at the meeting. It is not his fault, of course. The curriculum they are using is not working too well for him. Duh, I can't stand the curriculum. It switches between topics every day and the kids are never on one topic long enough to learn it before they have to go on to something else. We were doing algebra for homework the other night and he doesn't even know his addition facts yet. Anyway, he will be getting a new curriculum that focuses on mastery more than variety. It sounds like a good fit for him. The only reason I was upset is because I felt sorry for him (and yes,I am aware it could be so much worse, so please don't remind me of that - I thank God Stephen is who he is every day) in that he was getting pulled for yet another class. He is getting older now and starting to realize how different he is from some of the other kids. Some of the lovely (heavy on the sarcasm here) children have begun to pick on him this year and told him he couldn't read. Of course, I didn't let on to him that it upset me in anyway. I made it sound exciting because it will help him learn better and it might possibly make his homework easier. He liked the idea. It will be fine, I know that. I want what's best for him. Logically, of course, I know that this is best for him in order for him to succeed and become independent. I know all that. This is not about logic. This is more from a mom's heart and not just being able to fix this for him. Logic has nothing to do with it. Those of you that are moms will understand this I am sure.

After I got back to work from that a few co-workers indavertantly, I am sure, made me a little late picking him up from school. That irritated me.

When I got to school to pick him up and take him to daycare, they had the calendar for next school year in there. This year they gave the kids a half day off every month for teacher workshops. Now, someone in their infinite wisdom (again, heavy on the sarcasm) decided to do away with those and have every Monday, yes - every single one, be a late start Monday. That means that instead of starting school at 8 like every other day, they will be starting on Mondays this summer at 9 a.m. I am a single Mom (the only chauffer in the household) and I have to be at work at 8 every morning. That made me really, really mad. They don't get our opinions, they don't say oh, by the way, we are thinking of doing this, they just go ahead and do it. They also are starting school a week earlier this year (which screws up something I was supposed to do for work that day) than they have in the past. They also forgot to send us Stephen's class picture that I ordered.

When I got back to work, I was thinking about this coming Monday issue and I broached an idea to my boss. I suggested that if I could come in on Mondays at 9 then I would take only 1/2 an hour for lunch instead of my usual hour and would work until 5 p.m. instead of 4:30 (if Stephen's daycare provider would agree also). That way, I would still be working my 8 hours and everything would still be okay. My boss said he would have to check policy. I was amazed he said that. It was not like I was just asking to come in late every Monday without making it up. I re-explained everything to him and emphasized that I would still be getting in my 8 hours, the only thing getting shorted was my lunch hour. He still would only say he would sleep on it. That irritated me too. (This is part of why I am so mad at Englewood Schools, now I am having to re-arrange my whole work schedule on Monday - if my boss will allow it - just to get my child to school.) Say some prayers that my boss lets me do it this way and doesn't give me any grief.

I have been SO tired this evening after all this that I am just drained. Now that I have probably bored you all to death, I will end this post. I know nothing is un-surmountable here and that it will all work out how God wants it to, I just needed to vent I guess.

No comments: